Two Medical Billing and Coding Pathways
At Herzing, we’ve designed our medical billing and coding programs to reflect what industry leaders think entry-level workers should know—and what employers want them to know.
Medical billing and coding is an evolving field that requires both specialists and broadly skilled professionals.That's why we offer two tracks:
- Insurance Billing and Coding Specialist - Broaden your education and build a strong foundation in both billing and coding.
- Medical Coding - Focus your study on creating, updating and maintaining accurate electronic health records.
Whichever path you choose, you'll have the option to pursue a diploma or degree, plus become eligible to potentially sit for 8 different certifications, including the Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBSC), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), and Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).
Diploma and Degree Options in Medical Billing and Coding
- Diploma – 10 months, with preparation for the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBSC) exam
- Associate Degree – 20 months, with preparation for several billing and coding certifications from the NHA, AAPC and AHIMA
- Diploma – 10 months, learn inpatient and outpatient practical coding skills with preparation for the Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) exam
- Associate Degree – 20 months, with preparation for the Certified Coding Associate (CCA) examination, plus eligibility to pursue the Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) qualification after one year of work experience instead of two
The Herzing Difference
Whichever program you choose, you’ll benefit from:
- Transfer credit
- 100% online classes you can take from home
- Instructors who are industry-experienced and who have specific experience teaching online classes
- Multiple start dates per year
Herzing University is also ranked among the best Online Bachelor’s, MBA and MSN programs by U.S. News & World Report** for 2020. That means our students are engaged, our faculty is credentialed, and our student services and technology rank among the best in the nation.
Get started training for a new career in medical billing or medical coding today!